amethyst(redirected from Purple quartz)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A purple or violet form of transparent quartz used as a gemstone.
2. A purple variety of corundum used as a gemstone.
3. A moderate purple to grayish reddish purple.
[Middle English amatist, from Old French, from Latin amethystus, from Greek amethustos, not drunk or intoxicating, remedy for intoxication, amethyst : a-, not; see a-1 + methuskein, to intoxicate (from methuein, to be drunk, from methu, wine; see medhu- in Indo-European roots).]
am′e·thys′tine (-thĭs′tĭn, -tīn′) adj.
1. (Minerals) a purple or violet transparent variety of quartz used as a gemstone. Formula: SiO2
2. (Minerals) a purple variety of sapphire; oriental amethyst
3. (Colours) the purple colour of amethyst
[C13: from Old French amatiste, from Latin amethystus, from Greek amethustos, literally: not drunken, from a-1 + methuein to make drunk; referring to the belief that the stone could prevent intoxication]
am•e•thyst(ˈæm ə θɪst)
1. a purple or violet quartz, used as a gem.
2. a purplish tint.adj.
3. having the color of amethyst.
4. containing or set with an amethyst or amethysts: an amethyst brooch.
[1250–1300; Middle English ametist < Anglo-French ametiste < Latin amethystus < Greek améthystos not intoxicating (from a belief that it prevented drunkenness)]
am`e•thys′tine (-tɪn, -taɪn) adj.
A purple or violet, transparent form of quartz used as a gemstone. The color is caused by the presence of iron compounds in the crystal structure.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||amethyst - a transparent purple variety of quartz; used as a gemstone|
quartz - a hard glossy mineral consisting of silicon dioxide in crystal form; present in most rocks (especially sandstone and granite); yellow sand is quartz with iron oxide impurities
transparent gem - a gemstone having the property of transmitting light without serious diffusion
|Adj.||1.||amethyst - of a moderate purple color |
chromatic - being or having or characterized by hue
amethyst[ˈæmɪθɪst] N → amatista f
n (= mineral) → améthyste f
modif [bead, ring] → d'améthyste
n → Amethyst m; (= colour) → Amethystblau nt
adj (= amethyst-coloured) → amethystfarben; amethyst ring → Amethystring m