Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Puzzles: riddles
1. Something, such as a game, toy, or problem, that requires ingenuity and often persistence in solving or assembling.
2. Something that baffles or confuses; an enigma: the puzzle of the author's true identity.
3. The condition of being perplexed; bewilderment: I'm really in a puzzle over how this happened.
v. puz·zled, puz·zling, puz·zles
1. To baffle or confuse mentally by presenting or being a difficult problem or matter. See Synonyms at perplex.
2. To clarify or solve (something confusing) by reasoning or study: He puzzled out the significance of the statement.
1. To be perplexed.
2. To ponder over a problem in an effort to solve or understand it.
See also games.
the art or skill of composing enigmas. — enigmatographer, n.
the analysis of enigmas.
the pursuit of word puzzles or puzzling words. — logologist, n.