admiralty(redirected from Ripley Building)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. ad·mi·ral·ties
a. A court exercising jurisdiction over all maritime cases.
b. Maritime law.
2. Admiralty The department of the British government that once had control over all naval affairs.
n, pl -ties
1. (Military) the office or jurisdiction of an admiral
a. jurisdiction over naval affairs
b. (as modifier): admiralty law.
ad•mi•ral•ty(ˈæd mər əl ti)
n., pl. -ties.
1. the office or jurisdiction of an admiral.
2. the officials or the department of state having charge of naval affairs, as in Great Britain.
3. a court dealing with maritime questions, offenses, etc.
4. maritime law.
[1300–50; Middle English < Middle French]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||admiralty - the department in charge of the navy (as in Great Britain)|
government department - a department of government
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
|2.||admiralty - the office of admiral|