angelica(redirected from Root of the Holy Ghost)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Any of various herbs of the genus Angelica in the parsley family, having pinnately compound leaves and small white or greenish flowers in compound umbels, especially the Eurasian A. archangelica, whose roots and fruits are used in flavoring liqueurs and whose stems are candied and eaten.
b. The edible stem, leaf, or root of Angelica archangelica.
2. often Angelica A sweet white wine or liqueur.
[Medieval Latin (herba) angelica, angelic (herb), angelica, from Late Latin, feminine of angelicus, angelic, from Late Greek angelikos, from Greek, of a messenger, from angelos, messenger.]
1. (Plants) Also called: archangel any tall umbelliferous plant of the genus Angelica, having compound leaves and clusters of small white or greenish flowers, esp A. archangelica, the aromatic seeds, leaves, and stems of which are used in medicine and cookery
2. (Cookery) the candied stems of this plant, used for decorating and flavouring sweet dishes
[C16: from Medieval Latin (herba) angelica angelic (herb)]
an•gel•i•ca(ænˈdʒɛl ɪ kə)
n., pl. -cas.
1. any plant belonging to the genus Angelica, of the parsley family, cultivated for its medicinal root and edible stalks.
2. the candied stalks of this plant.
[1570–80; < Medieval Latin (herba) angelica angelic (herb)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||angelica - any of various tall and stout herbs of the genus Angelica having pinnately compound leaves and small white or greenish flowers in compound umbels|
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
genus Angelica - biennial or perennial herbs of the northern hemisphere; have a taproot
Angelica Archangelica, garden angelica, archangel - a biennial cultivated herb; its stems are candied and eaten and its roots are used medicinally
|2.||angelica - candied stalks of the angelica plant|
|3.||angelica - aromatic stems or leaves or roots of Angelica Archangelica|
herb - aromatic potherb used in cookery for its savory qualities
angelica[ænˈdʒelɪkə] N → angélica f
angelica[ænˈdʒɛlɪkə] n → angélique f
n (Bot) → Angelika f, → Brustwurz f; (Cook) → kandierte Angelika