Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Roth·schild(rŏth′chīld, rŏths′-, rôth′-, rôths′-, rōt′shĭlt′)
German family of bankers, including Mayer Amschal (1744-1812), who founded a bank at Frankfurt am Main. His sons, most notably Salomon Mayer (1774-1855) and Nathan Mayer (1777-1836), established branches of the bank throughout Europe.
1. (Biography) Lionel Nathan, Baron de Rothschild. 1809–79, British banker and first Jewish member of Parliament
2. (Biography) his grandfather Meyer Amschel (ˈmaiər ˈamʃəl). 1743–1812, German financier and founder of the Rothschild banking firm
3. (Biography) his son, Nathan Meyer, Baron de Rothschild. 1777–1836, British banker, born in Germany
Roth•schild(ˈrɔθ tʃaɪld, ˈrɔθs-, rɒθ-, ˈrɒθs-)
1. Mayer Amschel, 1743–1812, German banker: founder of the Rothschild family and international banking firm.
2. his son, Nathan Mayer, Baron de, 1777–1836, English banker, born in Germany.
|Noun||1.||Rothschild - any of family of powerful Jewish bankers in Europe|