dom(redirected from SOX10)
Also found in: Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. (also dōN) Used formerly as a title for male members of Portuguese and Brazilian royalty, aristocracy, and hierarchy, preceding the given name.
2. Roman Catholic Church Used as a title before the names of Benedictine and Carthusian monks in major or minor orders.
1. (Roman Catholic Church) (sometimes capital) RC Church a title given to Benedictine, Carthusian, and Cistercian monks and to certain of the canons regular
2. (Historical Terms) (formerly in Portugal and Brazil) a title borne by royalty, princes of the Church, and nobles
[C18 (monastic title): from Latin dominus lord]
1. (Architecture) Deo Optimo Maximo
2. informal Dirty Old Man
(Automotive Engineering) Dominican Republic (international car registration)
[(for sense 1) Latin: to God, the best, the Greatest]
dom(dɒm; for 2 also Port. dɔ̃)
1. (sometimes cap.) a title of a monk in certain monastic orders.
2. (usu. cap.) a Portuguese title affixed to a man's given name; Sir: formerly a title of certain dignitaries.
[1710–20; short for Latin dominus lord, master]
a suffix forming nouns that refer to domain (kingdom), collection of persons (officialdom), rank or station (earldom), or general condition (freedom).
[Middle English; Old English -dōm; c. Old Norse -dōmr, German -tum; see doom]