specie(redirected from SPECI)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Coined money; coin.
1. In coin.
2. In a similar manner; in kind: repaid the offense in specie.
3. Law As specified.
[From (in) specie, (in) the actual form, from Latin (in) speciē, (in) kind, ablative of speciēs; see species.]
1. (Banking & Finance) coin money, as distinguished from bullion or paper money
2. (Currencies) coin money, as distinguished from bullion or paper money
3. (Banking & Finance) (of money) in coin
4. (Currencies) (of money) in coin
5. in kind
6. (Law) law in the actual form specified
[C16: from the Latin phrase in speciē in kind]
spe•cie(ˈspi ʃi, -si)
coined money; coin.Idioms:
a. in the same kind.
b. (of money) in coin.
c. Law. in the identical shape, form, etc.
[1545–55; < Latin (in)speciē (in) kind]