sabot(redirected from Sabeau)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A shoe carved from a piece of wood, traditionally worn in some parts of Europe.
2. (săb′ət) A sandal or shoe, especially one with a wooden sole, that has an upper of leather or other similar material.
3. A device that allows a projectile of a smaller caliber to be fired from a weapon of a larger caliber by filling the weapon's bore and keeping the projectile centered. The sabot normally separates and falls away from the projectile a short distance from the muzzle.
[French, from Old French çabot, alteration of savate, old shoe, probably of Turkish or Arabic origin.]
sabot(ˈsæbəʊ; French sabo)
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a shoe made from a single block of wood
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a shoe with a wooden sole and a leather or cloth upper
3. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a lightweight sleeve in which a subcalibre round is enclosed in order to make it fit the rifling of a firearm. After firing the sabot drops away
4. (Nautical Terms) Austral a small sailing boat with a shortened bow
[C17: from French, probably from Old French savate an old shoe, also influenced by bot boot1; related to Italian ciabatta old shoe, Old Provençal sabata]
sab•ot(ˈsæb oʊ, sæˈboʊ)
1. a shoe made of a single block of wood hollowed out, traditionally worn by farmers and workers in the Netherlands, France, Belgium, etc.
2. a shoe with a thick wooden sole and sides and a top of coarse leather.
3. a soft metal ring at the base of a projectile that makes the projectile conform to the rifling grooves of a gun.
[1600–10; < French; Old French çabot, b. savate old shoe and bot boot1]
Lightweight carrier in which a subcaliber projectile is centered to permit firing the projectile in the larger caliber weapon. The carrier fills the bore of the weapon from which the projectile is fired; it is normally discarded a short distance from the muzzle.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sabot - a shoe carved from a single block of wood|
shoe - footwear shaped to fit the foot (below the ankle) with a flexible upper of leather or plastic and a sole and heel of heavier material
|2.||sabot - footwear usually with wooden soles|