Sahaptin(redirected from Sahaptin (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Sa·hap·tin(sä-hăp′tĭn) also Sha·hap·tin (shä-)
n. pl. Sahaptin or Sa·hap·tins also Shahaptin or Sha·hap·tins
1. A member of any of various Native American peoples of Idaho, Washington, and Oregon.
2. The dialectally diverse Sahaptian language of the Sahaptin.
[Southern Interior Salish s'aptnx.]
npl -tins, -tans, -tians, -tin, -tan or -tianAncient name: Shahaptin
1. (Peoples) a member of a North American Indian people of Oregon and Washington, including the Nez Percé
2. (Languages) the language of this people
n., pl. -tins, (esp. collectively) -tin for 1.
1. a member of any of a group of American Indian peoples of the Columbia River plateau in Washington and Oregon.
2. the speech of these people, often regarded as divergent dialects of a single language.
[< Southern Interior Salish sˁaptnx Nez Percé, Sahaptin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sahaptin - a member of a North American Indian people who lived in Oregon along the Columbia river and its tributaries in Washington and northern Idaho|
Nez Perce - a member of a tribe of the Shahaptian people living on the pacific coast
Penutian - a member of a North American Indian people speaking one of the Penutian languages
|2.||Sahaptin - a Penutian language spoken by the Shahaptian|
Penutian - a family of Amerindian language spoken in the great interior valley of California
Nez Perce - the Shahaptian language spoken by the Nez Perce