comp(redirected from Same store Sales)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
intr.v. comped, comp·ing, comps
To play a jazz accompaniment, as on a piano or guitar.
[Short for accompany.]
comp 2(kŏmp) Informal
1. Something of value, such as a ticket for admission or a book, given free of charge: The first caller to the radio station received four comps to a rock concert.
2. A person who receives something of value free of charge: The audience at the play consisted of 80 paying customers and 20 comps.
1. comped, comp·ing, comps To give (someone) something of value, such as a ticket or a hotel room, free of charge: Each performer was allowed to comp two guests.
2. To give (something of value, such as a ticket or a hotel room) free of charge: The customers' meal was comped after they complained about the service.
[Short for complimentary.]
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a compositor
2. (Music, other) an accompanist
3. (Music, other) an accompaniment
4. (Other Non-sporting Hobbies) a competition
5. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) (intr) to work as a compositor in the printing industry
6. (Music, other) to play an accompaniment (to)
1. something, as a ticket or book, provided free of charge.adj.
2. complimentary; free of charge.v.t.
3. to provide with a comp.
4. to provide free of charge.
[1885–90; shortening of complimentary]
to accompany a jazz soloist with irregularly spaced, punctuating chords.
[1945–50; shortening of accompany]
Past participle: comped
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||comp - an intensive examination testing a student's proficiency in some special field of knowledge; "she took her comps in English literature"|
n (Typ inf) → Setzer(in) m(f)