Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Sa·mior Saa·mi (sä′mē)
n. pl. Sami or Sa·mis or Saami or Saa·mis
1. A member of a people of nomadic herding tradition in northern Norway, Sweden, and Finland, and in the Kola Peninsula of Russia.
2. Any of the Uralic languages of the Sami.
[Sami, from earlier Sabme; probably akin to Finnish Suomi, Finn, Finnish.]
npl -mi or -mis
1. (Peoples) a member of the indigenous people of Lapland
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Finno-Ugric family
3. (Peoples) of or relating to this people or their language
4. (Languages) of or relating to this people or their language
Usage: The indigenous people of Lapland prefer to be called Sami, although Lapp is still in widespread use
a member of a Finnic people of Lapland.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sami - a member of an indigenous nomadic people living in northern Scandinavia and herding reindeer|
European - a native or inhabitant of Europe
|2.||Sami - the language of nomadic Lapps in northern Scandinavia and the Kola Peninsula|