mandarin orange(redirected from Satsuma Mandarin)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A small spiny evergreen tree (Citrus reticulata) native to Southeast Asia, widely cultivated for its sweet edible fruit.
2. The small, loose-skinned, orange-yellow to deep orange-red fruit of this tree.
[French mandarine, from Spanish mandarina, feminine of mandarín, mandarin; see mandarin.]
man•da•rin(ˈmæn də rɪn)
1. (in the Chinese Empire) a member of any of the nine ranks of public officials.
a. a more or less uniform spoken form of the Chinese language based loosely on the dialect of Beijing and used by officials in late imperial China.
b. the group of related Chinese dialects, including Mandarin and the modern standard language, spoken in SW, central, and N China and in Manchuria.
a. a small spiny Chinese citrus tree, Citrus reticulata, bearing flattish orange-yellow to deep orange loose-skinned fruit.
b. this fruit, some hybrid varieties of which are called tangerines.
4. an influential or powerful government official or bureaucrat.
5. a member of an elite or powerful group or class.adj.
6. of or pertaining to a mandarin or mandarins.
7. elegantly refined, as in language or taste.
[1580–90; < Portuguese mandarim, < Malay məntəri « Skt mantrin councilor]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mandarin orange - shrub or small tree having flattened globose fruit with very sweet aromatic pulp and thin yellow-orange to flame-orange rind that is loose and easily removed; native to southeastern Asia|
genus Citrus - orange; lemon; lime; etc.
citrus tree, citrus - any of numerous tropical usually thorny evergreen trees of the genus Citrus having leathery evergreen leaves and widely cultivated for their juicy edible fruits having leathery aromatic rinds
clementine, clementine tree - a variety of mandarin orange that is grown around the Mediterranean and in South Africa
|2.||mandarin orange - a somewhat flat reddish-orange loose skinned citrus of China|
citrous fruit, citrus, citrus fruit - any of numerous fruits of the genus Citrus having thick rind and juicy pulp; grown in warm regions
clementine - a mandarin orange of a deep reddish orange color and few seeds
satsuma - medium-sized largely seedless mandarin orange with thin smooth skin
tangerine - any of various deep orange mandarins grown in the United States and southern Africa