scrum(redirected from Scrum (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A play in Rugby in which the two sets of forwards mass together around the ball and, with their heads down, struggle to gain possession of the ball.
b. The mass or formation of players during such a play.
2. Chiefly British A disordered or confused situation involving a number of people.
intr.v. scrummed, scrum·ming, scrums
To engage in a scrum.
[Short for scrummage.]
1. (Rugby) rugby the act or method of restarting play after an infringement when the two opposing packs of forwards group together with heads down and arms interlocked and push to gain ground while the scrum half throws the ball in and the hookers attempt to scoop it out to their own team. A scrum is usually called by the referee (set scrum) but may be formed spontaneously (loose scrum)
2. informal a disorderly struggle
vb, scrums, scrumming or scrummed
(Rugby) rugby (usually foll by: down) to form a scrum
[C19: shortened from scrummage]
n., v. scrummed, scrum•ming. n.
1. a rugby formation in which opposing forwards huddle and struggle for possession of the ball.
2. Brit. a place or situation of confusion and racket; hubbub.v.i.
3. to engage in a scrum.
[1885–90; short for scrummage]
Scrumof rugby players: 1896.
Past participle: scrummed
Formation in which the forwards link themselves together tightly, lower their heads, and push against the opposing pack. The non-offending side tosses the ball into the tunnel between the packs and the respective hookers try to heel it back to a teammate.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||scrum - (rugby) the method of beginning play in which the forwards of each team crouch side by side with locked arms; play starts when the ball is thrown in between them and the two sides compete for possession|
commencement, start, beginning - the act of starting something; "he was responsible for the beginning of negotiations"
إشْتِباك لاعِبي الرُّجْبي
cīņa par bumbucīniņš
zápas o loptu
topu ele geçirme uğraşı
in rugby football, a struggle for the ball by the rival forwards hunched tightly round it. skrum إشْتِباك لاعِبي الرُّجْبي спорна топка formação mlýn der Skrum klynge διεκδίκηση της μπάλας μεταξύ κυνηγών στο ράγκμπι melé palli mängupanek بازي راگبي aloitus mêlée הֵיעַרכוּת לְמַאֲבָק עַל הַכָּדוּר झुंड gužva, tučnjava buli, toli perebutan bola þvaga mischia スクラム 스크럼 grumtis (prie kamuolio) cīņa par bumbu; cīniņš perebutan scrumklyngemłyn راګبی،یو دوله لوبه ده formação grămadă схватка вокруг мяча zápas o loptu gneča otimanje za loptu klunga, närkamp om bollen การแย่ง; การต่อสู้กัน topu ele geçirme uğraşı (橄欖球)兩隊對峙爭球 сутичка навколо м'яча گیند پکڑنے کے مقابلہ کے لئے کھڑے ہونا sự tranh bóng （橄榄球）两队并列争球