secretariat(redirected from Secreteriat)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Secreteriat: Seattle Slew
a. The department administered by a governmental secretary, especially for an international organization.
b. The office occupied by such a department.
2. The office or position of a governmental secretary.
[French secrétariat, from Old French, from Medieval Latin sēcrētāriātus, from sēcrētārius, secretary; see secretary.]
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
a. an office responsible for the secretarial, clerical, and administrative affairs of a legislative body, executive council, or international organization
b. the staff of such an office
c. the building or rooms in which such an office is housed
2. a body of secretaries
3. a secretary's place of work; office
4. the position of a secretary
[C19: via French from Medieval Latin sēcrētāriātus, from sēcrētārius secretary]
sec•re•tar•i•at(ˌsɛk rɪˈtɛər i ət)
1. the office or the officials entrusted with administrative duties, maintaining records, and overseeing or performing secretarial duties, esp. for an international organization: the secretariat of the United Nations.
2. a group or department of secretaries.
[1805–15; < French secrétariat < Medieval Latin sēcrētāriātus]
Secretariata body of secretaries, 1811.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||secretariat - an administrative unit responsible for maintaining records and other secretarial duties; especially for international organizations|
Pan American Union - the administrative agency of the Organization of American States
United Nations Secretariat - the administrative arm of the United Nations
|2.||Secretariat - thoroughbred that won the triple crown in 1973|