Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Semitic: Semitic languages
1. Of or relating to the Semites or their languages or cultures.
2. Of, relating to, or constituting a subgroup of the Afro-Asiatic language group that includes Arabic, Hebrew, Amharic, and Aramaic.
1. The Semitic languages.
2. Any of the Semitic languages.
[New Latin Sēmiticus, from Sēmita, Semite, from Late Latin Sēm, Shem, eponymous ancestor of the Semites, from Greek, from Hebrew Šēm.]
Semitic(sɪˈmɪtɪk) or less commonly
(Languages) a branch or subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family of languages that includes Arabic, Hebrew, Aramaic, Amharic, and such ancient languages as Akkadian and Phoenician
1. (Languages) denoting, relating to, or belonging to this group of languages
2. (Peoples) denoting, belonging to, or characteristic of any of the peoples speaking a Semitic language, esp the Jews or the Arabs
3. (Peoples) another word for Jewish
1. a family of languages, a branch of the Afroasiatic family, comprising a number of ancient and modern languages of SW Asia and Africa, as Akkadian, Aramaic, Hebrew, Arabic, and Amharic.adj.
2. of or pertaining to the Semitic languages or their speakers.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Semitic - a major branch of the Afro-Asiatic language family|
Afrasian, Afrasian language, Afroasiatic, Afro-Asiatic, Afroasiatic language, Hamito-Semitic - a large family of related languages spoken both in Asia and Africa
Akkadian - an ancient branch of the Semitic languages
Amharic, Ethiopian language - the dominant and official language of Ethiopia; a Semitic language much influenced by the Cushitic language with which Amhara have been in close contact
Aramaic - a Semitic language originally of the ancient Arameans but still spoken by other people in southwestern Asia
Maltese language, Malti, Maltese - the national language of the Republic of Malta; a Semitic language derived from Arabic but with many loan words from Italian, Spanish, and Norman-French
|Adj.||1.||Semitic - of or relating to the group of Semitic languages; "Semitic tongues have a complicated morphology"|
|2.||Semitic - of or relating to or characteristic of Semites; "Semite peoples"|