Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. sergeants major or sergeant majors
a. Used as a title for a noncommissioned officer serving as chief administrative assistant of a headquarters unit of the US Army or Marine Corps.
b. One who holds this title.
2. Chiefly British A noncommissioned or warrant officer of the highest rank in a company or unit of battalion size.
3. A damselfish (Abudefduf saxatilis) of warm seas, having a flattened body with dark vertical stripes.
1. (Military) a noncommissioned officer of the highest rank or having specific administrative tasks in branches of the armed forces of various countries
2. (Animals) a large damselfish, Abudefduf saxatilis, having a bluish-grey body marked with black stripes
1. a noncommissioned officer in the U.S. Army and Marine Corps ranking above a first sergeant.
2. the chief administrative assistant in a military headquarters.
3. a small damselfish, Abudefduf saxatilis, of warm Atlantic waters, having vertical black stripes on each side.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sergeant major - a noncommissioned officer serving as chief administrative officer of a headquarters unit of the Army|
sergeant - any of several noncommissioned officer ranks in the Army or Air Force or Marines ranking above a corporal
|2.||sergeant major - large blue-grey black-striped damselfish; nearly worldwide|