shoestring(redirected from Shoestrings)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. See shoelace.
2. A small sum of money; capital that is barely adequate: a company that started on a shoestring.
1. Long and slender: shoestring potatoes.
2. Marked by or consisting of a small amount of money: a shoestring budget.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) another word for shoelace
a. a very small or petty amount of money (esp in the phrase on a shoestring)
b. (as modifier): a shoestring budget.
2. a very small amount of money.adj.
3. meager: a shoestring budget.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||shoestring - a lace used for fastening shoes |
lace, lacing - a cord that is drawn through eyelets or around hooks in order to draw together two edges (as of a shoe or garment)
shoe - footwear shaped to fit the foot (below the ankle) with a flexible upper of leather or plastic and a sole and heel of heavier material
|2.||shoestring - a small amount of money; "he managed it on a shoestring"|