Shut Mouth - definition of Shut Mouth by The Free Dictionary
Mouth, Open and Shut (redirected from Shut Mouth)
Mouth, Open and Shut
- Closed her mouth like a trap —Julia O’Faolain
- Mouth comes open like a fish for air —Robert Penn Warren
- Mouth slightly open, like an idiot’s —D. H. Lawrence
- (Uncle Harry’s) mouth dropped open, as if either in the beginning of prayer or protest —H. E. Bates
- Mouth gagged open … as if the day had stuck in his throat —William Mcllvanney
- Mouth hanging open like a stove lid —Charles Johnson
- Mouth … open, black and wide as an attic —Louise Erdrich
- Mouth opened like a dark hole —Jerry Bumpus
- Mouth opened like a folding bed —Anon
- Mouth round and open like a small empty cave —William Faulkner
- Mouths came open like full moons —Will Weaver
- (His huge brow furrowed, his gray eyes closed down to slits, his) mouth shut like a car door being slammed —Jonathan Valin
- Mouth … slightly open, as though it froze in the middle of an unspellable word —Louise Erdrich
- (Don’t sit there with your) mouth sprung open like a busted letter box —William Alfred
- Opened and closed her narrow lips once or twice, like some beached shellfish gasping for the tide —Edith Wharton
- Opening his mouth in a kind of snarling grimace, quite without ferocity, like an old lion in a cage —Christopher Isherwood
- Small mouth hung open birdlike (as she sang) —MacDonald Harris
- Mouth shut abruptly, like a puppet’s —Jonathan Valin
- Yawned like a menagerie lion —Gelett Burgess
- A yawn like an unobtrusive earthquake —G. K. Chesterton
References in classic literature
It was sent home with shut mouth
in silence, and there was no need of a second.
You see I'm a stickler for routine and the parentals' continued attempts to introduce new elements to my diet are more often than not met with a slammed shut mouth
and/or my right arm's uncanny impression of a y swatter.
Still haven't summoned up courage to ask Sid to shut mouth
while he eats cheese sandwich, giving impression of cement mixer (with sound effects).
Goldberg should keep her opinions behind a shut mouth
Warning systems that shut mouths
and forced all responses to the evasive variety.