Slavonic(redirected from Slavic languages)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Slavic languages: Germanic languages
[From Medieval Latin Sclāvōnia, Slavic lands, from Sclāvus, Slav; see Slav.]
1. (Languages) a branch of the Indo-European family of languages, usually divided into three subbranches: South Slavonic (including Old Church Slavonic, Serbian, Croatian, Bulgarian, Bosnian, etc), East Slavonic (including Ukrainian, Russian, etc), and West Slavonic (including Polish, Czech, Slovak, etc)
2. (Languages) the unrecorded ancient language from which all of these languages developed
3. (Languages) of, denoting, or relating to this group of languages
4. (Peoples) of, denoting, or relating to the people who speak these languages
[C17: from Medieval Latin Slavonicus, Sclavonicus, from Slavonia]
Slav•ic(ˈslɑ vɪk, ˈslæv ɪk)
1. a family of languages, a branch of the Indo-European family, that includes Polish, Czech, Serbo-Croatian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian, and Russian. Compare East Slavic, South Slavic, West Slavic.adj.
2. of or pertaining to Slavic or its speakers.
3. of or pertaining to the Slavs: Slavic customs.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Slavonic - a branch of the Indo-European family of languages|
Balto-Slavic, Balto-Slavic language, Balto-Slavonic - a family of Indo-European languages including the Slavic and Baltic languages
Church Slavic, Old Bulgarian, Old Church Slavic, Old Church Slavonic - the Slavic language into which the Bible was translated in the 9th century
Russian - the Slavic language that is the official language of Russia
Ukrainian - the Slavic language spoken in the Ukraine
Polish - the Slavic language of Poland
Slovak - the Slavic language spoken in Slovakia
Czech - the Slavic language of Czechs
Slovene - the Slavic language of Slovenes
Serbo-Croat, Serbo-Croatian - the Slavic language of the Serbs and Croats; the Serbian dialect is usually written in the Cyrillic alphabet and the Croatian dialect is usually written in the Roman alphabet
Macedonian - the Slavic language of modern Macedonia
Bulgarian - a Slavic language spoken in Bulgaria
|Adj.||1.||Slavonic - of or relating to Slavic languages|