sluff(redirected from Slough (disambiguation))
Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(Bridge) bridge a variant spelling of slough2
slough1(slaʊ for 1,2,4; slu for 3 )
1. an area of soft, muddy ground; swamp or swamplike region.
2. a hole full of mire, as in a road.
4. a condition of degradation or despair.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English slōh, c. Middle Low German slōch, Middle High German sluoche ditch]
1. the outer layer of the skin of a snake, which is cast off periodically.
2. a mass or layer of dead tissue separated from the surrounding or underlying tissue.
3. anything that is shed or cast off.
4. a discarded card.v.i.
5. to be shed or cast off, as the slough of a snake.
6. to cast off a slough.
7. to separate from the sound flesh, as a slough.
8. to discard a card or cards.v.t.
9. to dispose or get rid of; cast (often fol. by off): to slough off a bad habit.
10. to shed as or like a slough.
11. to discard (a card).
12. slough over, to treat as inconsequential.
[1250–1300; Middle English slughe, slouh skin of a snake, akin to Middle Low German slū, slō husk, shell, Middle High German slūch]
Past participle: sluffed