smoke screen(redirected from Smoke-screen)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
smoke·screenor smoke screen (smōk′skrēn′)
1. A mass of dense artificial smoke used to conceal military areas or operations from an enemy.
2. An action or statement used to conceal actual plans or intentions.
1. (Military) military a cloud of smoke produced by artificial means to obscure movements or positions
2. something said or done in order to hide the truth
1. a mass of dense smoke produced to conceal an area, vessel, or plane from the enemy.
2. something intended to disguise, conceal, or deceive.
A cloud of smoke used to conceal ground maneuver, obstacle breaching, recovery operations, and amphibious assault operations as well as key assembly areas, supply routes, and logistic facilities.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||smoke screen - (military) screen consisting of a cloud of smoke that obscures movements|
screen - a protective covering consisting of netting; can be mounted in a frame; "they put screens in the windows for protection against insects"; "a metal screen protected the observers"
|2.||smoke screen - an action intended to conceal or confuse or obscure; "requesting new powers of surveillance is just a smokescreen to hide their failures"|