Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Soufrière: Soufrière Hills
1. A volcano, 1,234 m (4,048 ft) high, on St. Vincent Island in the Windward Islands of the West Indies. A violent eruption in 1902 killed more than 1,000 people.
2. also La Soufrière (lä) A volcano, 1,467 m (4,813 ft) high, on southern Basse-Terre Island, Guadeloupe, in the Leeward Islands of the West Indies. It was the site of the first eruption recorded in the West Indies (1660).
1. (Placename) a volcano in the Caribbean, on N St Vincent: erupted in 1902, killing about 2000 people. Height: 1234 m (4048 ft)
2. (Placename) a volcano in the Caribbean, on S Montserrat: the highest point on the island; erupted 1997, causing the effective destruction of the capital, Plymouth, and requiring the partial evacuation of the island. Height: 915 m (3002 ft)
3. (Placename) a volcano in the Caribbean, on Guadeloupe. Height: 1484 m (4869 ft)