sovereignty(redirected from Sovereignity)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to Sovereignity: State sovereignty
n. pl. sov·er·eign·ties
1. Supremacy of authority or rule as exercised by a sovereign or sovereign state.
2. Royal rank, authority, or power.
3. Complete independence and self-government.
4. A territory existing as an independent state.
n, pl -ties
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) supreme and unrestricted power, as of a state
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the position, dominion, or authority of a sovereign
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an independent state
sov•er•eign•ty(ˈsɒv rɪn ti, ˈsʌv-)
n., pl. -ties.
1. the quality or state of being sovereign.
2. the status, dominion, power, or authority of a sovereign; royalty.
3. supreme and independent power or authority in a state.
4. rightful status, independence, or prerogative.
5. a sovereign state, community, or political unit.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sovereignty - government free from external control|
|2.||sovereignty - royal authority; the dominion of a monarch|
dominion, rule - dominance or power through legal authority; "France held undisputed dominion over vast areas of Africa"; "the rule of Caesar"
|3.||sovereignty - the authority of a state to govern another state|