caving(redirected from Spilunking)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
1. A hollow or natural passage under or into the earth, especially one with an opening to the surface.
2. A storage cellar, especially for wine.
v. caved, cav·ing, caves
1. To dig or hollow out.
2. To cause to collapse or fall in. Often used with in: The impact caved in the roof of the car.
1. To fall in; collapse. Often used with in: The walls caved in during the earthquake.
2. To give up all opposition; yield. Often used with in: The school committee caved in to the demands of parents.
3. To explore caves.
(Individual Sports, other than specified) the sport of climbing in and exploring caves
or spe•lae•ol•o•gy(ˌspi liˈɒl ə dʒi)
the exploration and study of caves.
spe`le•o•log′i•cal (-əˈlɒdʒ ɪ kəl) adj.
the term for speleology used by professionals.See also: Caves