Stevenson(redirected from Stevenson, Robert Louis (Balfour))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Stevenson, Robert Louis (Balfour): RL Stevenson
Ste·ven·son(stē′vən-sən), Adlai Ewing 1835-1914.
Vice president of the United States (1893-1897) under Grover Cleveland. His grandson Adlai Ewing (1900-1965) was the Democratic nominee for president in 1952 and 1956.
Stevenson, Robert Louis Balfour 1850-1894.
British writer of essays, poetry, and novels, including Treasure Island (1883), The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886), and Kidnapped (1886).
1. (Biography) Adlai Ewing (ˈædleɪ ˈjuːɪŋ). 1900–68, US statesman: twice defeated as Democratic presidential candidate (1952; 1956); US delegate at the United Nations (1961–65)
2. (Biography) Robert Louis (Balfour). 1850–94, Scottish writer: his novels include Treasure Island (1883), Kidnapped (1886), and The Master of Ballantrae (1889)
Ste•ven•son(ˈsti vən sən)
1. Ad•lai Ewing (ˈæd leɪ) 1835–1914, vice president of the U.S. 1893–97.
2. his grandson, Adlai E(wing), 1900–65, U.S. statesman and diplomat: ambassador to the U.N. 1960–65.
3. Robert Louis (Robert Lewis Balfour), 1850–94, Scottish novelist, essayist, and poet.