Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A region of northern Africa south of the Sahara and north of the equator. It extends across the continent from the Atlantic coast to the mountains of Ethiopia.
2. A country of northeast Africa south of Egypt. Northern Sudan formed part of the ancient kingdoms of Nubia and Cush. Conquered by Egypt in 1820-1822 and jointly administered by Great Britain and Egypt after 1899, Sudan achieved independence in 1956. Khartoum is the capital and Omdurman is the largest city. In 2011, the southern part of the country seceded, forming the republic of South Sudan.
Su′da·nese′ (so͞od′n-ēz′, -ēs′) adj. & n.
1. (Placename) of or relating to the republic of Sudan or its inhabitants
2. (Peoples) of or relating to the republic of Sudan or its inhabitants
3. (Placename) of or relating to the African region of the Sudan or its inhabitants
4. (Peoples) of or relating to the African region of the Sudan or its inhabitants
5. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of the republic of Sudan
6. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of the African region of the Sudan
Su•da•nese(ˌsud nˈiz, -ˈis)
n., pl. -nese,
1. a native or inhabitant of the Sudan, esp. the Republic of Sudan.adj.
2. of or pertaining to the Sudan or its inhabitants.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sudanese - a native or inhabitant of Sudan |
Republic of the Sudan, Soudan, Sudan - a republic in northeastern Africa on the Red Sea; achieved independence from Egypt and the United Kingdom in 1956
African - a native or inhabitant of Africa
|Adj.||1.||Sudanese - of or relating to or characteristic of the African Republic of the Sudan or its people; "the Sudanese desert"|
người Sudanthuộc nước/người/tiếng Sudan