kamikaze(redirected from Suicide plane)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Suicide plane: kamikaze, Kamikaze Pilots
1. A Japanese pilot trained in World War II to make a suicidal crash attack, especially upon a ship.
2. An airplane loaded with explosives to be piloted in a suicide attack.
3. Slang An extremely reckless person who seems to court death.
1. Of or relating to a suicidal air attack: a kamikaze mission.
2. Slang So reckless in behavior or actions as to be suicidal: kamikaze hot rodders.
[Japanese, divine wind (from the legendary name of a typhoon that in 1281 saved Japan by destroying the Mongol navy) : kami, divine + kaze, wind.]
n (often capital)
1. (Military) (in World War II) one of a group of Japanese pilots who performed suicidal missions by crashing their aircraft, loaded with explosives, into an enemy target, esp a ship
2. (Historical Terms) an aircraft used for such a mission
3. (modifier) (of an action) undertaken or (of a person) undertaking an action in the knowledge that it will result in the death of the person performing it in order that maximum damage may be inflicted on an enemy: a kamikaze attack; a kamikaze bomber.
4. (modifier) extremely foolhardy and possibly self-defeating: kamikaze pricing.
[C20: from Japanese, from kami divine + kaze wind, referring to the winds that, according to Japanese tradition, destroyed a Mongol invasion fleet in 1281]
ka•mi•ka•ze(ˌkɑ mɪˈkɑ zi)
n., pl. -zes,
1. (during World War II) a member of a special corps in the Japanese air force charged with suicidal missions against U.S. warships.
2. an airplane filled with explosives and flown by a kamikaze.adj.
3. of or resembling a kamikaze; wildly reckless; suicidal.
[1944–45; < Japanese]
1. A Japanese word meaning divine wind, used to mean a suicidal action, especially that of Japanese pilots in World War II who deliberately crashed their airplanes onto enemy ships.
2. Japanese planes loaded with explosives flown by pilots trained to make suicidal crash attacks on targets.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||kamikaze - a fighter plane used for suicide missions by Japanese pilots in World War II|
attack aircraft, fighter aircraft, fighter - a high-speed military or naval airplane designed to destroy enemy aircraft in the air
|2.||kamikaze - a pilot trained and willing to cause a suicidal crash|
Nihon, Nippon, Japan - a constitutional monarchy occupying the Japanese Archipelago; a world leader in electronics and automobile manufacture and ship building
suicide bomber - a terrorist who blows himself up in order to kill or injure other people
kamikaze[ˌkæmɪˈkɑːzɪ] N → kamikaze m
kamikaze[ˌkæmɪˈkɑːzi] adj [soldier, terrorist, act] → kamikaze
n → Kamikaze nt; kamikaze pilot → Kamikazeflieger m; kamikaze mission → Kamikaze-Mission f