cooper(redirected from Susie Cooper)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A person who makes or repairs wooden barrels and tubs.
[Middle English couper, from Middle Dutch kūper, from kūpe, basket, tub; see coop.]
(Crafts) Also called: hooper a person skilled in making and repairing barrels, casks, etc
1. (Crafts) (tr) to make or mend (barrels, casks, etc)
2. (Crafts) (intr) to work as a cooper
[C13: from Middle Dutch cūper or Middle Low German kūper; see coop1]
1. (Biography) Anthony Ashley. See (Earl of) Shaftesbury
2. (Biography) Cary (Lynn). born 1940, British psychologist, noted for his studies of behaviour at work and the causes and treatment of stress
3. (Biography) Gary, real name Frank James Cooper. 1901–61, US film actor; his many films include Sergeant York (1941) and High Noon (1952), for both of which he won Oscars
4. (Biography) Sir Henry. 1934–2011, British boxer; European heavyweight champion (1964; 1968–71)
5. (Biography) James Fenimore 1789–1851, US novelist, noted for his stories of Native Americans, esp The Last of the Mohicans (1826)
6. (Biography) Leon Neil. born 1930, US physicist, noted for his work on the theory of superconductivity. He shared the Nobel prize for physics 1972
7. (Biography) Samuel 1609–72, English miniaturist
coop•er(ˈku pər, ˈkʊp ər)
1. a person who makes or repairs casks, barrels, or tubs.v.t.
2. to work as a cooper on.v.i.
3. to work as a cooper.
[1350–1400; Middle English couper < Middle Low German kūper or Middle Dutch cūper < Medieval Latin cūpārius (Latin cūp(a) cask, vat + -ārius -ary)]
Coo•per(ˈku pər, ˈkʊp ər)
1. Anthony Ashley, Shaftesbury, Anthony Ashley Cooper.
2. James Fenimore, 1789–1851, U.S. novelist.
3. Peter, 1791–1883, U.S. inventor and philanthropist.
Past participle: coopered
One who makes or repairs wooden barrels.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Cooper - United States industrialist who built the first American locomotive; founded Cooper Union in New York City to offer free courses in the arts and sciences (1791-1883)|
|2.||Cooper - United States film actor noted for his portrayals of strong silent heroes (1901-1961)|
|3.||Cooper - United States novelist noted for his stories of American Indians and the frontier life (1789-1851)|
|4.||cooper - a craftsman who makes or repairs wooden barrels or tubs|
|Verb||1.||cooper - make barrels and casks|
make - make by shaping or bringing together constituents; "make a dress"; "make a cake"; "make a wall of stones"