Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Swazi or Swa·zis
1. A member of a southeast African people of Swaziland and adjacent parts of South Africa.
2. The Nguni language of this people, closely related to Xhosa and Zulu.
npl -zis or -zi
1. (Peoples) a member of a racially mixed people of southern Africa living chiefly in Swaziland, who first formed into a strong political group in the late 19th century
2. (Languages) the language of this people: an official language of Swaziland along with English. It belongs to the Niger-Congo family and is closely related to Xhosa and Zulu
n., pl. -zis, (esp. collectively) -zi.
1. a member of a Nguni people of Swaziland and adjacent parts of the Transvaal in South Africa.
2. the Bantu language of the Swazi.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Swazi - a member of a southeast African people living in Swaziland and adjacent areas|
Kingdom of Swaziland, Swaziland - a landlocked monarchy in southeastern Africa; member of the commonwealth that achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1968
African - a native or inhabitant of Africa
|2.||Swazi - a Bantu language closely related to Zulu|
Nguni - a group of southern Bantu languages
|Adj.||1.||Swazi - of or relating to or characteristic of Swaziland or its people or their language|