Turkmen(redirected from Türkmen)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Turkmen or Turk·mens
1. A native or inhabitant of Turkmenistan.
2. also Tur·ko·man or Tur·co·man (tûr′kə-mən) pl. Turkoman or Turcoman or Tur·ko·mans or Tur·co·mans A member of a traditionally nomadic Turkic people inhabiting Turkmenistan and neighboring areas in Iran and Afghanistan.
3. also Turkoman or Turcoman The Turkic language of the Turkmen.
4. A member of a Turkic people of northern Iraq.
5. The Turkic language of the Iraqi Turkmen.
[Medieval Latin Turcomannus, from Persian turkmān, Turklike, Turkmen : turk, Turk (from Old Turkic türk; see Turk) + -mān, resembling, like (from mānistan, mān-, to resemble; akin to Avestan mana-, measurement, manner, from mā-, to measure; akin to Sanskrit mimīte, he measures; see mē- in Indo-European roots).]
Turk′men, Tur′ko·man, Tur′co·man adj.
(Languages) the language of the Turkomans, belonging to the Turkic branch of the Altaic family
Turk•men(ˈtɜrk mɛn, -mən)
n., pl. -mens, (esp. collectively) -men.
1. a member of a Turkic people of Central Asia, now living mainly in Turkmenistan and adjacent parts of Iran and Afghanistan.
2. the language of the Turkmens.
[1925–30; < Turkish Türkmen]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Turkmen - a member of a Turkic people living in Turkmenistan and neighboring areas|
Turki - any member of the peoples speaking a Turkic language
|2.||Turkmen - a republic in Asia to the east of the Caspian Sea and to the south of Kazakhstan and to the north of Iran; an Asian soviet from 1925 to 1991|
CIS, Commonwealth of Independent States - an alliance made up of states that had been Soviet Socialist Republics in the Soviet Union prior to its dissolution in Dec 1991
Asia - the largest continent with 60% of the earth's population; it is joined to Europe on the west to form Eurasia; it is the site of some of the world's earliest civilizations
|3.||Turkmen - the Turkic language spoken by the Turkoman|
|Adj.||1.||Turkmen - of or relating to or characteristic of Turkmenistan or its people or culture|