Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tu·na 1(to͞o′nə, tyo͞o′-)
n. pl. tuna or tu·nas
a. Any of various often large scombroid marine food and game fishes of the genus Thunnus and related genera, several of which, including albacore and skipjack tuna, are commercially important sources of canned fish. Also called tunny.
b. Any of several related fishes, such as the bonito.
2. The edible flesh of tuna, often canned or processed. Also called tuna fish.
[American Spanish, from Spanish atún, from Arabic at-tūn, the tuna, from Latin thunnus; see tunny.]
tu·na 2(to͞o′nə, tyo͞o′-)
1. Any of several prickly pears, especially O. ficus-indica, widely cultivated for its edible red fruit.
2. The edible fruit of any of these cacti. Also called cactus pear.
[American Spanish, from Taíno.]
n, pl -na or -nas
1. (Animals) Also called: tunny any of various large marine spiny-finned fishes of the genus Thunnus, esp T. thynnus, chiefly of warm waters: family Scombridae. They have a spindle-shaped body and widely forked tail, and are important food fishes
2. (Animals) any of various similar and related fishes
[C20: from American Spanish, from Spanish atún, from Arabic tūn, from Latin thunnus tunny, from Greek]
1. (Plants) any of various tropical American prickly pear cacti, esp Opuntia tuna, that are cultivated for their sweet edible fruits
2. (Plants) the fruit of any of these cacti
[C16: via Spanish from Taino]
tu•na1(ˈtu nə, ˈtyu-)
n., pl. (esp. collectively) -na, (esp. for kinds or species) -nas.
1. any of several large marine food and game fishes of the family Scombridae, including the albacore, bluefin tuna, and yellowfin tuna.
2. any of various related fishes.
3. Also called tu′na fish`. the flesh of the tuna, used as food.
[1880–85, Amer.; < American Spanish, variant of Sp atún < Arabic al the + tūn < Greek thýnnos tunny]
tu•na2(ˈtu nə, ˈtyu-)
n., pl. -nas.
1. any of various prickly pears, esp. either of two erect, treelike species, Opuntia tuna or O. ficus-indica, of Mexico, bearing a sweet, edible fruit.
2. the fruit of these plants.
[1545–55; < Sp < Taino]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tuna - tropical American prickly pear of Jamaica|
|2.||tuna - important warm-water fatty fish of the genus Thunnus of the family Scombridae; usually served as steaks|
tunny, tuna - any very large marine food and game fish of the genus Thunnus; related to mackerel; chiefly of warm waters
saltwater fish - flesh of fish from the sea used as food
albacore - relatively small tuna with choice white flesh; major source of canned tuna
bonito - flesh of mostly Pacific food fishes of the genus Sarda of the family Scombridae; related to but smaller than tuna
|3.||tuna - any very large marine food and game fish of the genus Thunnus; related to mackerel; chiefly of warm waters|
food fish - any fish used for food by human beings
scombroid, scombroid fish - important marine food and game fishes found in all tropical and temperate seas; some are at least partially endothermic and can thrive in colder waters
long-fin tunny, Thunnus alalunga, albacore - large pelagic tuna the source of most canned tuna; reaches 93 pounds and has long pectoral fins; found worldwide in tropical and temperate waters
horse mackerel, Thunnus thynnus, bluefin, bluefin tuna - largest tuna; to 1500 pounds; of mostly temperate seas: feed in polar regions but breed in tropics
|4.||tuna - New Zealand eel|
eel - voracious snakelike marine or freshwater fishes with smooth slimy usually scaleless skin and having a continuous vertical fin but no ventral fins
تُوْنسَمَك التّونلَحْم سَمَك التّون
tuna[ˈtjuːnə] N (tuna, tunas (pl)) (also tuna fish) → atún m
tuna[ˈtjuːnə] (pl) n (also tuna fish) → thon m
n → T(h)unfisch m
tuna[ˈtjuːnə] n pl inv (also tuna fish) → tonno
tuna(-fish)(ˈtʃuːnə(fiʃ)) , ((American) ˈtu:nə(-)) noun – plurals ˈtuna ~ˈtuna-fish, ~ˈtunas – also (tunny(-fish) (ˈtani(fiʃ)) – plurals ˈtunnies, ~ˈtunny, ~ˈtunny-fish) –
1. a kind of large sea-fish of the mackerel family. tonyn سَمَك التّون риба тон atum tuňák der Thunfisch tunfisk τόνοςatún tuunikala ماهی تونا tonnikala thonטונה एक प्रकार की समुद्री मछली tuna tonhal ikan tuna túnfiskur tonno まぐろ 참치 tunas tuncis ikan tuna tonijntunfisktuńczyk د تونا ماهی یا کب atum ton тунец tuniak tun tuna tonfisk ปลาทูน่า ton balığı, orkinos 金槍魚，鮪魚 тунець ايک قسم کي بڑي مچھلي cá ngừ 金枪鱼
2. its flesh, used as food. tonyn, tuna لَحْم سَمَك التّون риба тон atum tuňák der Thunfisch tunfisk κρέας τόνου atún tuunikala گوشت ماهی تونا tonnikala thonטונה इस मछली का मांस tunjevina tonhal ikan tuna túnfiskur tonno まぐろ 참치 고기 tunas tuncis daging ikan tuna tonijntunfisktuńczyk د تونا کب غوښه atum (carne de) ton тунец tuniak tunina tunjevina tonfisk เนื้อปลาทูน่า ton balığı eti 金槍魚肉，鮪魚魚肉 тунець اس مچھلي کا گوشت thịt cá ngừ 金枪鱼肉
tuna→ تُوْن tuňák tun Thunfisch τόνος atún tonnikala thon tuna tonno マグロ 참치 tonijn tunfisk tuńczyk atum тунец tonfisk ปลาทูน่า ton balığı cá ngừ 金枪鱼
n. [fish] atún.