Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Ta·í·no(tä-ē′nō) also Tai·no (tī′nō)
n. pl. Taíno or Taínos also Taino or Tai·nos
1. A member of an Arawak people of the Greater Antilles and the Bahamas whose culture was destroyed by genocide, epidemics, and assimilation under Spanish colonization in the early 1500s.
2. The language of this people.
[Spanish, of American Indian origin.]
npl -nos or -no
1. (Peoples) a member of an American Indian people of the Greater Antilles and the Bahamas
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Arawakan family
n., pl. -nos, (esp. collectively) -no.
1. a member of an American Indian people of the Greater Antilles and the Bahamas.
2. the extinct Arawakan language of the Taino.