tarantella(redirected from Tarantela)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A lively, whirling southern Italian dance in 6/8 time, once thought to be a remedy for tarantism.
2. The music for this dance.
[Italian, after Taranto.]
1. (Dancing) a peasant dance from S Italy
2. (Music, other) a piece of music composed for or in the rhythm of this dance, in fast six-eight time
[C18: from Italian, from Taranto Taranto; associated with tarantism]
tar•an•tel•la(ˌtær ənˈtɛl ə)
n., pl. -las.
1. a rapid, whirling dance of S Italy in 6/8 time.
2. music in the rhythm of a tarantella.
Believed to have originated in the Italian town of Taranto in southern Italy, it is a swift. whirling dance executed by two people to music in 6/8 time.