Republican Party(redirected from The Republican Party in the New Millennium)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. One of the two primary political parties of the United States, organized in 1854 to oppose the extension of slavery.
2. The Democratic-Republican Party.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the more conservative of the two major political parties in the US: established around 1854. Compare Democratic Party
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) any of a number of political parties in other countries, usually so named to indicate their opposition to monarchy
3. (Historical Terms) history US another name for the Democratic-Republican Party
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) history US another name for the Democratic-Republican Party
1. one of the two major political parties in the U.S., originated (1854–56).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Republican Party - the younger of two major political parties in the United States; GOP is an acronym for grand old party|
party, political party - an organization to gain political power; "in 1992 Perot tried to organize a third party at the national level"
Republican - a member of the Republican Party