thumbnail(redirected from Thumbnailing)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. The nail of the thumb.
2. Computers An image of a graphic or document that is reduced in size so that it serves as an icon of a larger image. This allows multiple images to be viewed on a screen simultaneously or to be transmitted more rapidly.
1. Of, relating to, or of the size of a thumbnail.
2. Greatly reduced or limited in scale or scope: a thumbnail sketch; a thumbnail biography.
tr.v. thumb·nailed, thumb·nail·ing, thumb·nails Computers
To generate a reduced size image of (a graphic or document).
1. (Anatomy) the nail of the thumb
2. (modifier) concise and brief: a thumbnail sketch.
3. (Computer Science) computing a small image which can be expanded
1. the nail of the thumb.
2. anything quite small or brief, as a biographical sketch.adj.
3. brief and concise: a thumbnail description of Corsica.