Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
To·kayor To·kaji (tō-kā′)
A sweet white wine made from grapes grown in the region near Tokaj (formerly Tokay), a town of eastern Hungary.
(Animals) a small gecko, Gekko gecko, of S and SE Asia, having a retractile claw at the tip of each digit
[from Malay toke, of imitative origin]
1. (Brewing) a fine sweet wine made near Tokaj, Hungary
2. (Plants) a variety of large sweet grape used to make this wine
3. (Brewing) a similar wine made elsewhere
a large gecko, Gekko gecko, of SE Asia.
[1745–55; < dial. Malay tokeˀ < Javanese təˀkəˀ (sp. tekek)]
1. an aromatic wine made near the town of Tokay in NE Hungary.
2. a large, red variety of grape, grown for table use.
3. a strong, sweet white wine of California.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Tokay - Hungarian wine made from Tokay grapes|
Tokay - variety of wine grape originally grown in Hungary; the prototype of vinifera grapes
|2.||Tokay - variety of wine grape originally grown in Hungary; the prototype of vinifera grapes|
vinifera grape - grape from a cultivated variety of the common grape vine of Europe
flame tokay - purplish-red table grape
Tokay - Hungarian wine made from Tokay grapes
n (= wine) → Tokaier m