touchdown(redirected from Touchdowns)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Abbr. TD Football An act of carrying, receiving, or gaining possession of the ball across the opponent's goal line for a score of six points.
2. The contact, or moment of contact, of a landing aircraft or spacecraft with the landing surface.
[From the earlier practice of touching the ball to the ground behind the goal line.]
1. (Aeronautics) the moment at which a landing aircraft or spacecraft comes into contact with the landing surface
2. (Rugby) rugby the act of placing or touching the ball on the ground behind the goal line, as in scoring a try
3. (American Football) American football a scoring play worth six points, achieved by being in possession of the ball in the opposing team's end zone. Abbreviation: TD See also field goal2
vb (intr, adverb)
4. (Aeronautics) (of a space vehicle, aircraft, etc) to land
5. (Rugby) rugby to place the ball behind the goal line, as when scoring a try
6. informal to pause during a busy schedule in order to catch up, reorganize, or rest
1. an act or instance of scoring six points in football by being in possession of the ball on or behind the opponent's goal line.
2. the act of a Rugby player who touches the ball on or to the ground behind his own goal line.
3. the act or the moment of landing, as of an aircraft.
The contact, or moment of contact, of an aircraft or spacecraft with the landing surface.
Score (six points) by running the ball or catching a pass over the opposing team’s goal line.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||touchdown - a score in American football; being in possession of the ball across the opponents' goal line|
score - the act of scoring in a game or sport; "the winning score came with less than a minute left to play"
|2.||touchdown - a landing (as the wheels touch the landing field); especially of airplanes|
landing - the act of coming down to the earth (or other surface); "the plane made a smooth landing"; "his landing on his feet was catlike"
sự hạ cánh