separator(redirected from True's separator)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
One that separates, as a device for separating cream from milk.
1. a person or thing that separates
2. a device for separating things into constituent parts, as milk into cream, etc
sep•a•ra•tor(ˈsɛp əˌreɪ tər)
1. a person or thing that separates.
2. an apparatus for separating one thing from another, as cream from milk.
[1600–10; < Late Latin sēparātor < Latin sēparā(re) to separate]
1. A machine used to separate grain from its straw during threshing. Separators were made as standalone machines, but also were an integral part of threshing machines.
2. A machine to separate cream from milk, see Cream separator.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||separator - an apparatus that uses centrifugal force to separate particles from a suspension|
haematocrit, hematocrit - a measuring instrument to determine (usually by centrifugation) the relative amounts of corpuscles and plasma in the blood
ultracentrifuge - a high speed centrifuge used to determine the relative molecular masses of large molecules in high polymers and proteins