Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Tsimshian or Tsi·mshi·ans
1. A member of a Native American people inhabiting a coastal area of western British Columbia and extreme southeast Alaska.
2. The family of languages spoken by the Tsimshian and related peoples.
1. (Peoples) a member of a Native Canadian people of northern British Columbia
2. (Languages) the Penutian language of this people
[C19: from Tsimshian, inside the Skeena River]
Tsim•shi•an(ˈtʃɪm ʃi ən, ˈtsɪm-)
n., pl. -ans, (esp. collectively) -an.
1. a member of an American Indian people occupying a region of coastal British Columbia S of the present border with Alaska.
2. the language of the Tsimshian.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Tsimshian - a member of a Penutian people who lived on rivers and a sound in British Columbia|
Penutian - a member of a North American Indian people speaking one of the Penutian languages
|2.||Tsimshian - a Penutian language spoken by the Tsimshian|
Penutian - a family of Amerindian language spoken in the great interior valley of California