Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Turk: Turck
1. A native or inhabitant of Turkey.
2. A member of the principal ethnic group of modern-day Turkey or, formerly, of the Ottoman Empire.
3. A member of any of the Turkic-speaking peoples.
[Middle English, from Old French turc, from Turkish Türk; akin to Old Turkic türk, perhaps from türk, ripe, vigorous, strong.]
1. (Peoples) a native, inhabitant, or citizen of Turkey
2. (Peoples) a native speaker of any Turkic language, such as an inhabitant of Turkmenistan or Kyrgyzstan
3. obsolete derogatory a violent, brutal, or domineering person
1. a native or inhabitant of Turkey.
2. a Turkish-speaking citizen of the Ottoman Empire.
3. a member of any Turkic-speaking people.
a. one of a breed of Turkish horses closely related to the Arabian horse.
b. any Turkish horse.
5. Young Turk.
[1300–50; Middle English « Turkish Türk; compare Medieval Latin Turcus, Medieval Greek Toûrkos]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Turk - a native or inhabitant of Turkey |
Republic of Turkey, Turkey - a Eurasian republic in Asia Minor and the Balkans; on the collapse of the Ottoman Empire in 1918, the Young Turks, led by Kemal Ataturk, established a republic in 1923
Turki - any member of the peoples speaking a Turkic language
effendi - a former Turkish term of respect; especially for government officials
người Thổ Nhĩ Kỳ