Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Turkmen or Turk·mens
1. A native or inhabitant of Turkmenistan.
2. also Tur·ko·man or Tur·co·man (tûr′kə-mən) pl. Turkoman or Turcoman or Tur·ko·mans or Tur·co·mans A member of a traditionally nomadic Turkic people inhabiting Turkmenistan and neighboring areas in Iran and Afghanistan.
3. also Turkoman or Turcoman The Turkic language of the Turkmen.
4. A member of a Turkic people of northern Iraq.
5. The Turkic language of the Iraqi Turkmen.
[Medieval Latin Turcomannus, from Persian turkmān, Turklike, Turkmen : turk, Turk (from Old Turkic türk; see Turk) + -mān, resembling, like (from mānistan, mān-, to resemble; akin to Avestan mana-, measurement, manner, from mā-, to measure; akin to Sanskrit mimīte, he measures; see mē- in Indo-European roots).]
Turk′men, Tur′ko·man, Tur′co·man adj.
npl -mans or -men
1. (Peoples) a member of a formerly nomadic people of central Asia, now living chiefly in Turkmenistan and in NE Iran
2. (Languages) the Turkmen language
(Languages) of or relating to this people or their language
[C16: from Medieval Latin Turcomannus, from Persian turkumān resembling a Turk, from turk Turk + māndan to be like]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Turkoman - a member of a Turkic people living in Turkmenistan and neighboring areas|
Turki - any member of the peoples speaking a Turkic language
|2.||Turkoman - the Turkic language spoken by the Turkoman|