Aleut(redirected from Unangax)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Aleut or A·leuts
1. A member of a Native American people inhabiting the Aleutian Islands and coastal areas of southwest Alaska. The Aleut are related culturally and linguistically to the Eskimo.
2. Either or both of the two languages of the Aleut. See Usage Note at Native American.
[Russian, from Alut, a village on Kamchatka inhabited by the Alutor, a people speaking a language related to Chukchi and traditionally practicing whale-hunting (the Russians later extending their name for this people to the Aleut, who practice a similar lifestyle) .]
1. (Peoples) a member of a people inhabiting the Aleutian Islands and SW Alaska, related to the Inuit
2. (Languages) the language of this people, related to Inuktitut
[from Russian aleút, probably of Chukchi origin]
Al•eut(əˈlut, ˈæl iˌut)
n., pl. Al•euts, (esp. collectively) Al•eut.
1. a member of a people inhabiting the Aleutian Islands and the W Alaska Peninsula.
2. the language of the Aleuts, akin to the Eskimo languages.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Aleut - a member of the people inhabiting the Aleutian Islands and southwestern Alaska|
|2.||Aleut - a community of Native Americans who speak an Eskimo-Aleut language and inhabit the Aleutian Islands and southwestern Alaska; "the Aleut and the Eskimo are related culturally and linguistically"|
community - a group of people living in a particular local area; "the team is drawn from all parts of the community"
|3.||Aleut - the language spoken by the Aleut|