votive(redirected from Votive deposit)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Votive deposit: Votive Objects
1. Given or dedicated in fulfillment of a vow or pledge: a votive offering.
2. Expressing or symbolizing a wish, desire, or vow: a votive prayer; votive candles.
[Latin vōtīvus, from vōtum, vow; see vote.]
1. offered, given, undertaken, performed, or dedicated in fulfilment of or in accordance with a vow
2. (Roman Catholic Church) RC Church optional; not prescribed; having the nature of a voluntary offering: a votive Mass; a votive candle.
[C16: from Latin vōtīvus promised by a vow, from vōtum a vow]
1. offered, dedicated, performed, etc., in accordance with a vow, often as an act of veneration or of gratitude for a favor granted: a votive offering.
2. of the nature of or expressive of a wish or desire.