waiver(redirected from Waivers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to Waivers: wavers
a. Intentional relinquishment of a right, claim, or privilege.
b. The document that evidences such relinquishment.
2. A dispensation, as from a rule or penalty.
3. Permission for a professional athletic club to assign a player to the minor leagues or release a player from the club, granted only after all other clubs have been given the opportunity to claim the player and have not done so.
4. A deferment.
tr.v. wai·vered, wai·ver·ing, wai·versIdioms:
To provide with a waiver or issue a waiver for.
To be unclaimed by another professional club and therefore liable to be assigned to a minor-league club or released.
In a state of being available for claiming by other professional clubs.
[Anglo-Norman weyver, from weyver, to abandon; see waive.]
1. (Law) the voluntary relinquishment, expressly or by implication, of some claim or right
2. (Law) the act or an instance of relinquishing a claim or right
3. (Law) a formal statement in writing of such relinquishment
[C17: from Old Northern French weyver to relinquish, waive]
1. the intentional relinquishment of a right.
2. an express or written statement specifying this.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||waiver - a formal written statement of relinquishment|