midi(redirected from Wavetable synthesis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
The south of France.
n. pl. MID·Is
1. A standard for representing musical information in a digital format.
2. Software that conforms to this standard, used for composing and editing electronic music.
[M(usical) I(nstrument) D(igital) I(nterface).]
n. pl. mid·is
A dress, skirt, or coat of mid-calf length.
(Clothing & Fashion)
a. (of a skirt, coat, etc) reaching to below the knee or midcalf
b. (as noun): she wore her new midi.
[C20: from mid-; on the model of maxi and mini]
1. (Placename) the south of France
2. (Placename) Canal du Midi a canal in S France, extending from the River Garonne at Toulouse to the Mediterranean at Sète and providing a link between the Mediterranean and Atlantic coasts: built between 1666 and 1681. Length: 181 km (150 miles)
(Music, other) (modifier) a generally accepted specification for the external control of electronic musical instruments: a MIDI synthesizer; a MIDI system.
[C20: from m(usical) i(nstrument) d(igital) i(nterface)]
n., pl. mid•is.
2. a garment with a midiskirt, as a coat.
[1965–70; extracted from midiskirt]
the south of France.
[< French: midday, south; Old French =mi- middle (< Latin medius; see mid1) + di day (< Latin)]
Musical Instrument Digital Interface: a standard means of sending digitally encoded information about music between electronic devices, as between synthesizers and computers.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Midi - the southern part of France|
|2.||MIDI - a standard protocol for communication between electronic musical instruments and computers|
|Adj.||1.||midi - used of women's clothing having a hemline at mid-calf; "midiskirts"; "wore her dresses midi length"|
combining form - a bound form used only in compounds; "`hemato-' is a combining form in words like `hematology'"
maxi - used of women's clothing having a hemline at the ankle; "wanted a maxi-length coat"; "a maxidress"
mini - used of women's clothing; very short with hemline above the knee; "a mini dress"; "miniskirts"