cartel(redirected from What is a cartel)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. A combination of independent business organizations formed to regulate production, pricing, and marketing of goods by the members.
2. An official agreement between governments at war, especially one concerning the exchange of prisoners.
3. A group of parties, factions, or nations united in a common cause; a bloc.
[German Kartell, from French cartel, from Italian cartello, placard, from Medieval Latin cartellus, charter, diminutive of Latin charta, carta, paper made from papyrus; see card1.]
1. (Economics) Also called: trust a collusive international association of independent enterprises formed to monopolize production and distribution of a product or service, control prices, etc
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) politics an alliance of parties or interests to further common aims
[C20: from German Kartell, from French, from Italian cartello a written challenge, public notice, diminutive of carta card1]
1. an international syndicate, formed esp. to control prices and output in some field of business.
2. an association of political groups acting as a unit toward a common goal.
3. a written agreement between belligerents, esp. for the exchange of prisoners.
[1550–60; < Middle French < Italian cartello letter of defiance, poster, derivative of cart(a) sheet of paper]
car•tel′ize, v.i., v.t. -ized, -iz•ing.
An association of independent businesses organized to control prices and production, eliminate competition, and reduce the cost of doing business.
Cartelpolitical or economic combination between parties or business organizations; hence, the parties themselves. See also combine, syndicate.
A group of firms within an industry who collude against competition to regulate prices and/or output to their own advantage.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cartel - a consortium of independent organizations formed to limit competition by controlling the production and distribution of a product or service; "they set up the trust in the hope of gaining a monopoly"|
drug cartel - an illicit cartel formed to control the production and distribution of narcotic drugs; "drug cartels sometimes finance terrorist organizations"
oil cartel - a cartel of companies or nations formed to control the production and distribution of oil
1. A combination of businesses closely interconnected for common profit:
2. A group of individuals united in a common cause: