whim(redirected from Whims)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms.
1. A sudden or capricious idea; a fancy: "More than five hundred of these men would never see another sunset, yet a holiday atmosphere prevailed; they joked with each other as they marched, dropping out again for blackberries when the whim struck them, despite stern new orders to the contrary" (William Marvel).
2. Arbitrary thought or impulse: "I dreamed of having the golden flesh, the huge muscles of half-naked gods and goddesses who did whatever they wanted to do, ruling the universe according to their whims" (John Edgar Wideman).
3. A vertical horse-powered drum used as a hoist in a mine.
on a whim
Done suddenly or impulsively: "I just took a trip. Lit off at night, drove six hundred miles to see an old friend, on a whim" (Marya Hornbacher).
[Short for whim-wham, fanciful object.]
1. a sudden, passing, and often fanciful idea; impulsive or irrational thought
2. (Mining & Quarrying) a horse-drawn winch formerly used in mining to lift ore or water
[C17: from whim-wham]
1. a capricious notion; fancy: a party thrown on a whim.
2. capricious humor.
[1635–45; short for Middle English whim-wham, gradational compound]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||whim - a sudden desire; "he bought it on an impulse"|
desire - the feeling that accompanies an unsatisfied state
|2.||whim - an odd or fanciful or capricious idea; "the theatrical notion of disguise is associated with disaster in his stories"; "he had a whimsy about flying to the moon"; "whimsy can be humorous to someone with time to enjoy it"|
a sudden desire or change of mind. I am tired of that child's whims. gier نَزْوَه прищявка capricho vrtoch die Grille indfald; påfund παραξενιά, καπρίτσιοcapricho tuju, kapriis خيال oikku capriceגחמה सनक hir, nušica szeszély tingkah duttlungur capriccio 気まぐれ 일시적 기분 įnoris kaprīze; untums kerenah; gerak hati grillune, nykke, påfunnkaprys capricho capriciu каприз vrtoch kaprica hir infall, nyck ความคิดเพ้อฝัน; ความคิดเเปลกประหลาด; ความต้องการแปลก ๆ kapris, geçici istek 一時興起，突然改變心意 примха; забаганка خیال جو اچانک آ جاءے ý chợt nảy ra 一闪念，怪念头