wintergreen(redirected from Wintergreen (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. A creeping evergreen North American plant (Gaultheria procumbens) in the heath family, having solitary nodding white flowers, aromatic leaves, and spicy edible scarlet berries. Also called checkerberry, teaberry.
b. An oil or flavoring obtained from this plant or certain other plants, such as sweet birch, or produced synthetically.
2. Any of several similar or related plants, especially the pipsissewas and plants of the genus Pyrola.
[Translation of Dutch wintergroen.]
1. (Plants) Also called: boxberry, checkerberry, teaberry, spiceberry or partridgeberry any of several evergreen ericaceous shrubs of the genus Gaultheria, esp G. procumbens, of E North America, which has white bell-shaped flowers and edible red berries
2. (Elements & Compounds) oil of wintergreen an aromatic compound, formerly made from this and various other plants but now synthesized: used medicinally and for flavouring
3. (Plants) any of various plants of the genus Pyrola, such as P. minor (common wintergreen), of temperate and arctic regions, having rounded leaves and small pink globose flowers: family Pyrolaceae. Usual US name: shinleaf
4. (Plants) any of several plants of the genera Orthilia and Moneses: family Pyrolaceae
5. (Plants) chickweed wintergreen a primulaceous plant, Trientalis europaea, of N Europe and N Asia, having white flowers and leaves arranged in a whorl
[C16: from Dutch wintergroen or German Wintergrün; see winter, green]
1. a creeping evergreen shrub, Gaultheria procumbens, of the heath family, bearing white flowers, red berries, and oval leaves that yield an aromatic oil.
2. the oil itself; methyl salicylate.
3. the flavor of this oil.
4. any of various other plants of the same genus.
5. any of various small evergreen herbs of the genera Pyrola and Chimaphila.
[1540–50; translation of Dutch wintergroen or German Wintergrün]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||wintergreen - any of several evergreen perennials of the genus Pyrola|
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
genus Pyrola - short-stemmed perennial herbs of cool or temperate regions: wintergreen; shinleaf
false wintergreen, Pyrola americana, Pyrola rotundifolia americana - evergreen of eastern North America with leathery leaves and numerous white flowers
lesser wintergreen, Pyrola minor - the common wintergreen having many-flowered racemes of pink-tinged white flowers; Europe and North America
Pyrola elliptica, shinleaf, wild lily of the valley - North American evergreen with small pinkish bell-shaped flowers and oblong leaves used formerly for shinplasters
|2.||wintergreen - creeping shrub of eastern North America having white bell-shaped flowers followed by spicy red berrylike fruit and shiny aromatic leaves that yield wintergreen oil|
checkerberry, creeping wintergreen, Gaultheria procumbens, mountain tea, teaberry, groundberry, ground-berry
boxberry, checkerberry, spiceberry, teaberry, wintergreen - spicy red berrylike fruit; source of wintergreen oil
oil of wintergreen, wintergreen oil - oil or flavoring obtained from the creeping wintergreen or teaberry plant
shrublet - dwarf shrub
|3.||wintergreen - spicy red berrylike fruit; source of wintergreen oil|
berry - any of numerous small and pulpy edible fruits; used as desserts or in making jams and jellies and preserves
wintergreen[ˈwɪntəgriːn] N → gaulteria f
oil of wintergreen → aceite m de gaulteria
n (= plant) → Teebeere f; (= flavouring) → Wintergrünöl nt