worm gear(redirected from Worm drive)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
worm gear assembly
1. A gear consisting of a spirally threaded shaft and a wheel with marginal teeth that mesh into it.
2. The toothed wheel of this gear; a worm wheel.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a device consisting of a threaded shaft (worm) that mates with a gearwheel (worm wheel) so that rotary motion can be transferred between two shafts at right angles to each other
2. (Mechanical Engineering) Also called: worm wheel a gearwheel driven by a threaded shaft or worm
art at worshipful
1. a mechanism consisting of a worm engaging with and driving a worm wheel.
2. a gear wheel driven by a worm.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||worm gear - gear consisting of a shaft with screw thread (the worm) that meshes with a toothed wheel (the worm wheel); changes the direction of the axis of rotary motion|
cogwheel, gear, gear wheel, geared wheel - a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion
worm - screw thread on a gear with the teeth of a worm wheel or rack
worm wheel - gear with the thread of a worm