|Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary|
6,064,256,013 visitors served.
|Also found in: Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia||0.01 sec.|
x, X [ɛks]
n pl x's, X's, Xs
1. (Linguistics) the 24th letter and 19th consonant of the modern English alphabet
2. (Linguistics / Phonetics & Phonology) a speech sound sequence represented by this letter, in English pronounced as ks or gz or, in initial position, z, as in xylophone
1. (Business / Commerce) (Economics, Accounting & Finance / Banking & Finance) Commerce banking finance ex
2. (Mathematics) Maths the x-axis or a coordinate measured along the x-axis in a Cartesian coordinate system
3. (Mathematics) an algebraic variable
1. (Performing Arts) (formerly, in Britain)
a. indicating a film that may not be publicly shown to anyone under 18. Since 1982 replaced by symbol 18
b. (as modifier) an X film
2. denoting any unknown, unspecified, or variable factor, number, person, or thing
3. (Communication Arts / Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) (on letters, cards, etc.) denoting a kiss
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (on ballot papers, etc.) indicating choice
5. (Social Science / Education) (on examination papers, etc.) indicating error
6. (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) for Christ; Christian
[from the form of the Greek letter khi (Χ), first letter of Khristos Christ]
the Roman numeral for ten See Roman numerals
X, x (ɛks)
n., pl. Xs X's, xs x's.
1. the 24th letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound represented by this letter.
3. something shaped like an X.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter X or x.x (ɛks)
v.t. x-ed x'd (ɛkst) x-ing x'ing (ˈɛk sɪŋ)
1. to cross out or mark with an x (often fol. by out): to x out an error.
2. to indicate choice, as on a ballot or examination (often fol. by in): to x in the candidate of your choice.
3. Slang. ecstasy (def. 5).X
1. the 24th in order or in a series.
2. (sometimes l.c.) the Roman numeral for 10. Compare Roman numerals.
a. a motion-picture rating applied to sexually graphic or explicit films.
b. (formerly) such a rating advising that persons under the age of 17 would not be admitted to the film.Compare G (def. 2), NC-17, PG, PG-13, R (def. 4).
8. a person, thing, agency, factor, etc., of unknown identity.
9. Chem. (formerly) xenon.x
1. an unknown quantity or a variable.
2. (used at the end of letters, telegrams, etc., to indicate a kiss.)
3. (used to indicate multiplication) times: 8 x 8 = 64.
4. (used between figures indicating dimensions) by: 3〃x 4〃 (read: “three inches by four inches”).
5. power of magnification: a 50x telescope.
6. (used as a signature by an illiterate person.)
8. (used to indicate a particular place or point on a map or diagram.)
9. (used to indicate choice, as on a ballot or examination.)
10. (used to indicate an error or incorrect answer, as on a test.)
11. a person or thing of unknown identity.
Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
X x [ˈɛks] n
(= letter) → X m, x m
X for Xmas → X comme Xavier
(in measurements) (= by) → X
It measures 13m x 4m → Ça fait 13m X 4.
(for unspecified person, thing, number) → X m
Dr. X → Dr X.
(MATHEMATICS) (in equation) → x m
(at end of a letter) (= kiss) croix marquée en signe d'affection à la fin d'une lettre
→ X nt, → x nt
(Math, fig) → x; Mr X → Herr X; X pounds → x Pfund; X marks the spot → die Stelle ist mit einem Kreuzchen gekennzeichnet
X (esp US sl) abbr of ecstasy → Ecstasy nt
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, add the site to iGoogle, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
|Mentioned in||?||Dictionary browser||?||Full browser||?|
all in all
all the same
XX (window system)
X - Protocol Stream Benchmark
X Acceleration Architecture
X Activation Peptide
X Activator Activity
X and Y bosons
X and Zero Apocalypse
X Application Panel
X Application Server System
X Athena Widgets
X Automatic Code Translation
X Axis Pointing Out of Plane
X Band Synthetic Aperture Radar
X Beyond the Frontier
X BitMap Format
|Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Translations|
Free toolbar & extensions |
Word of the Day |
For webmasters: Free content | Linking | Lookup box | Double-click lookup